How to Size a Wood Walking Cane
We hope you find the following information on sizing a walking cane helpful. It is very important that anyone relying on the support of a walking cane use a properly sized cane.
Unless otherwise requested, we ship our dark bamboo wood walking cane cut to 36 inches. We will gladly cut your walking cane longer or shorter for you at no extra charge. Please specify the size you require in the 'Length' area provided on the product page when ordering.
For those who are presently using a walking cane that feels comfortable, simply measure this walking cane from the top of the handle to the bottom of the Cane. This is the correct size to request when ordering a new wood walking cane.
How to measure someone for a walking cane
If someone needs to be measured for a walking cane do the following:
- Have them wear the shoes they usually wear while walking.
- They should stand as upright as possible, with arms hanging relaxed by their side and with a small natural bend in the elbow.
- Use a tape measure or yardstick to measure the distance from the floor to the first crease on the inside of their wrist, just above the palm, on the arm that will be using the walking cane.
This is the height to specify in the 'Length' area provided on the product page when ordering your walking cane.
I have also been told that when sizing a walking cane, you can take the height of the person in inches and take half of this figure to get the height of the walking cane. For example, a person who is 5' 8" (68 inches) tall would need a walking cane height of 34 inches (half of 68 inches). This method will give you a cane length that is very close to what is needed. You may need to cut a little off the bottom of the cane to get the exact height.
Walking Cane Sizing Guide
This sizing chart gives only an approximate length for your walking cane.
It is always best to measure individually as described above.
|6'4" - 6'7"
|37 inch cane
|6'0" - 6'3"
|36 inch cane
|5'8" - 5'11"
|35 inch cane
|5'4" - 5'7"
|34 inch cane
|5'0" - 5'3"
|33 inch cane
|4'8" - 4'11"
|32 inch cane
How to Cut a Bamboo Wood Walking Stick
- Remove the rubber tip from the bottom of the bamboo walking cane.
- Mark the bottom of the walking cane where it needs to be cut and lay it on a small block of scrap wood (a miter box is perfect for this).
- While holding the bottom of the bamboo cane flat against the wood block, slowly turn the walking cane while using a hacksaw blade to score a line completely around the outside of the cane before cutting all the way through it. This is to prevent fraying of the bamboo wood.
- Once you have scored the walking cane all the way around, cut straight down completely through the bamboo walking cane and into the scrap wood to make a clean cut.
If you have any questions regarding sizing or cane or cutting a bamboo walking cane, please do not hesitate to call us.